Wednesday, February 18, 2026

Planning fonts

 So I already discussed the font I used on my company logo but I also want to discuss the fonts I'm going to use for the rest of my opening. I used the app Canva to look at different fonts and decide which one would be best for my project. Fonts need to have a few main things, they need to be readable, they need to either enhance or blend in with the tone of the film, and they need to look good with the visuals behind them.

Genre conventions:

    Fonts that are common for a teen and family drama, they are easy to read and not memorable. Its also common for the font to look like its handwritten. They also display the content of the movie in one way or another. For example "Mean Girls" (2004)  has orange font, most likely referencing how Caty's personality is before American high school. "Cheaper by the Dozen" (2003) uses a bold serif font that isn't very memorable in and of itself; however, the accompanying images make it stand out. More modern movies tend to stray away from serifs, but the genre is known to use both.

"Cheaper by the Dozen" (2003)
"Mean Girls" (2004)



Credits:

    I wanted the font I choose for the names in the opening credits to be reminiscent of childhood, but still mature. I achieved this by choosing the font "Better Saturday". At first I thought I just wanted a font with serifs making it look more elegant, but then I started going through the fonts and realized that they didn't match my opening. I started thinking about some cursive fonts, while keeping in mind that it needed to be legible. I started looking at fonts that looked delicate and could remind me of little girls, but were also intricate enough that they could remind me of teenagers. I was between two fonts for a while because I thought both looked like they could match the tone and the feelings I'm trying to get across with my opening. "Amsterdam Three" was the one I wanted to go with at first because it was bolder and larger than the other fonts but I didn't like the way it displayed some specific letters. In the end I went with "Better Saturday" because I thought it matched my vision well and I liked how all the letters looked (specifically the M and the F).

Timelapse:



Final Product:

Title Graphic:

    For the title graphic I wanted it to have the same tone as the rest of the film because the title is supposed to embody the what the entire film is about. I chose the title "Dust Bunnies" because it's a description of the sisters' relationship. Both the girls are unique in their own way but they're hiding their feelings and thoughts from each other. They're like the dust bunnies under a couch, they left each other severing their connections to real life. They are both trying everything they can to not be like the other. That was a little off topic but I wanted to give context for the title.
    Anyways, the fonts themselves represent the two different places the girls minds are in. The past where one is trying to forget and the other is clinging on, and the present where they are entirely different from each other. The cursive font has gray on its edges because it represents the whimsy of childhood being slowly consumed by the passage of time. The sharp and professional font with pink on its edges represents the present being held back by clinging to the past.
    For this font combination I was inspired by the movie "Love and Monsters" (2020), I liked how the words looked like what they said. The word love is pink and romantic, while the word monsters is bold and looks like its made out of stone.

"Love and Monsters" (2020)



Timelapse:


Final Product:


Conclusions:

    The fonts I chose for my opening didn't exactly follow genre conventions, but I think it was worth it because these deviations were made because the opening was enhanced by them. Of course I need to edit these into my final product, but I know exactly what I'm going to do now.

Domestika. (n.d.). 10 typefaces from movies. https://www.domestika.org/en/blog/3589-10-typefaces-from-movies 

Creative Market. (n.d.). Theatre fonts. https://creativemarket.com/blog/theatre-fonts

Indieground. (n.d.). Movie logo fonts: Exploring the typography of 30 classic films. https://indieground.net/blog/movie-logo-fonts-exploring-the-typography-of-30-classic-films/

Fonts used in film [Slide presentation]. (n.d.). SlideShare. https://www.slideshare.net/slideshow/fonts-used-in-film/14524391

No comments:

Post a Comment

Done!!!

I'm finished! I'm so happy I got the chance to complete this project and I can't wait for next year! Here are the links to my po...